Sunday, March 6, 2011

Faith is always pointed forward . . .

Tyler was just reading "The Best is Yet to Be" by Elder Jeffery R. Holland. T read me this quote:

"It is possible that Lot’s wife looked back with resentment toward the Lord for what He was asking her to leave behind. We certainly know that Laman and Lemuel were resentful when Lehi and his family were commanded to leave Jerusalem. So it isn’t just that she looked back; she looked back longingly.

In short, her attachment to the past outweighed her confidence in the future."

Clear the throat and ouch! Was Elder Holland talking to me? Somewhere along my path in life, I got disappointed by my anticipation of future events that ended up going . . .not as planned?

So in order to protect myself from disappointment, I started worrying about the possibilities of the future, holding on to the past, and waiting to see if things would be okay before I got excited.

Sounds kind of pessimistic. And adultish. And lacking faith. Maybe that's why I've felt this need to really live this year.

Could it really be that the BEST is yet to be? That's exciting!

Here are some future things that excite me:

-Making St Patty's Day Sugar Cookies

-Turning in my blasted thesis

-My mini Spring Break trip to U.T.A.H.

-Graduation

-Tyler's brother's mission call

-Having a family

-Making family home evening games, lessons, etc, for my files.

-Etc. I could go on.

Anticipation rather than fear. Like an African Elder once told me, look forward ever, backwards never.


1 comment:

Jeff said...

I agree. There's so much to look forward to in the future. Curtis Ledbetter, who was in our parents' ward used to always say, "I have more dreams for the future than memories of the past."

I always thought I wanted to be like that when I got to his age. I always want to look to the future and see it as even better than the present, even though the present is awesome.