Sunday, February 14, 2010

Frogs and Mules

Have I told you about our backyard pasture? Well, technically, it's not ours, but the tiny yard we do have backs up to a mule pasture. I love to draw the curtains and let the every now and then Portland sunshine stream into our happy kitchen. . .

You can see the actual pasture here (behind us):
I can't explain the happiness I experience when I look out back and see "our mules". They come up next to the gate; we've even fed them apples. I delight in their daily habits--when they whinny and hee-haw like donkeys, when they gallop in a pack (there are 5 of them), when they trot back and forth, back and forth, when they curl up on the ground for some warmth.

Tonight, on Valentine's day night, we got home and as we walked up to the front door, I heard the croaking chorus of frogs out in the pasture. Just like the country. Of course, the 2-4 frogs that seem to live under our house and inside our dryer vent aren't as thrilling, but the effect of far-off frogs was pleasing tonight.

Simple things. Happy things. Frogs and mules.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I wish we had frogs. That would make me happy. It would also freak out Robyn, which would make me less happy. But frogs are cool. Mules are too.