Friday, September 21, 2012

Climbing Solo while Pregnant: Not recommended

I have been silent for long enough. I have obvious reasons to not share my good news of being pregnant. I had originally intended not to let people know until I had passed the point of Truman's loss (19 weeks), but since Wednesday, have been feeling the need to share.

I am 15 weeks pregnant. I had surgery on Wednesday in an attempt to keep my babe inside with a procedure known as a cerclage . My experience at the hospital was one of hope. Nurses, techs, and doctors all wanting the best for me and "baby." All seemed shocked to find out that I had had two previous 2nd trimester losses. While this surgery is not a guarantee  that I will carry full-term or even into the third trimester, I now know that I have done everything in my personal power to stay pregnant.

A scriptural passage I have long loved comes from the book of Romans, referring to Father Abraham, "who against hope believed in hope" that he became the father of many nations (4:18). Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. I have not seen a pregnancy that lasts longer than the second trimester, so it is truly against my natural capacity to believe that my body can hold out longer than that.

But I hope. Against odds, against doctors' opinions, against my own fears. I hope in the Hope of Israel, the Mighty One, my Redeemer, yes, even the great Deliverer.

Elder Richard G. Scott gave an address entitled "The Atonement Can Secure Your Peace and Happiness" where he describes two types of rock climbing, soloing and in pairs. Elder Scott describes the safety and peace that comes from allowing Jesus Christ to be the lead climber:

"Let the Savior be your 'lead' in life. He has said 'I am...the Rock of Heaven...: whoso cometh in at the gate and climbeth up by me shall never fall."

What an incredible promise. I feel its assurance today. The assurance that I will indeed be able to overcome all challenges and sorrows that seem to stand in the way of my dreams, provided I trust and follow the Good Shepherd, rather than trying to lead myself along. To climb up to where He meets me has felt overwhelming of late, but reading these words today has given me rest. Sometimes climbing is just looking up.

11 comments:

Heather said...

All my love, Sund. I'm so happy for you. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you!

tnt71206 said...

What an incredible journey! I, too, am grateful to know we're alone as we face those challenges tailor-made for us... the ones that are more than we can possibly bear alone, but that with the Savior's help allow us to become strong. I'll keeping keeping you in my prayers, and sending lots of love your way! Thank you for sharing, and for helping me refocus my perception!

Jenn said...

I'm so happy for you, Sundy! I'll be keeping your family in my prayers.

Momma K said...

So happy for you, Sundy. And I totally understand the desire to keep quiet till after you pass the milestone of the last one. But every life is one to be cherished and celebrated, and I'm so glad you are giving your friends the opportunity to celebrate with you! Love from Hillsboro!

debeckhardt said...

Such great news Sundy!
Keep that faith and hope going.
Praying for your dream to come true.

Emily said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! I have a cerclage with each of my pregnancies. It is an enormous relief to turn everything over to the Lord because you really have done everything you can. We'll pray for you!

Katie said...

I will hope for you too! Prayers your way!

A. B. said...

I just sent up a prayer for you dear Sundy! Congratulations!! What a wonderful blessing to have on its way. You have all my prayers and hope for a pregnancy that lasts until the end. Much love to you and congrats again!

Didda said...

Sundy, you are one of the most amazing women I know. I am so excited for you and as a woman who holds on to God's promises as well, even when they seem impossible, I know that you will be blessed and I want you to know that my prayers are with you every step of the way! Congratulations!

Kathleen said...

Sundy and Tyler, you are amazing. Your faith and courage inspire so many who already loved you but whose love and respect increase with the continual example you set of pressing forward in hope, patience, and charity. May you continue to feel an unmatched outpouring of love from the Lord in the weeks and months that lie ahead. No doubt that babe of yours has joined an eternal steadfast family with two brothers too precious and valiant to even begin to describe. Beautiful, beautiful family!

Jacqueline Clark said...

You are in our prayers and I hope this pregnancy is an easy one for you.