Monday, April 2, 2012

April 2nd









Four years ago, on April 2nd, 2008, Tyler told me that he wanted to take me to Ephraim, Utah to show me "the old haunts." At the time, I did not know what "the old haunts" meant--since I have learned that it is a reference old hangouts, places he might have frequented while attending school at Snow College. I took the above picture today, April 2, 2012, because I know that 4 years ago on this day I was wearing the same floral shirt. As it happens, I always ask Tyler why this shirt is special. I've probably asked him at least 8 times if he remembers what happened while I wore this shirt. It was only today that he got the answer right the first time I asked him, with no hint or lifeline from me.

Yes, Ephraim, Utah, is very close to Manti, Utah. And Manti, Utah is were Tyler Anderson asked me if I would do him the honor of being his wife.

The setting was surreal. The day was cloudy, almost rainy. When we pulled up to the Manti temple and Tyler opened my door, I only thought I glanced at his hand going into his pocket, like he was checking to make sure something was still there. I only thought I felt his heart beating through his hand as he walked me up the stairs, through the gate, and to the back "yard" of the temple lawn.

It was only when he was down on his knee, with the velvety black ring box opened and a sparkling light shining from the inside that it registered: Yes, I was in the process of getting engaged; yes, all the best-laid plans of hoping for a proposal at the Burlington Carousel were no longer needed:
All my daydreams departed. I was in the moment. I was kissing my husband-to-be and shocked at the thought that everything could seem so ordinary one moment and so ethereal the next. I was so excited to be kissing my fiance that I almost forgot to put on the brilliant-cut ring:



Once I recovered from the shock, Tyler helped me put the ring on. The sun peaked through the clouds, pouring golden light across the valley:



Little did I know that we would have so many mountains to climb, early in our married life. We basked in the glory of the proposal for only a few seconds, and then walked down the hill, hand in hand, as Tyler told me the story of getting my dad's permission, getting the ring, showing it to his sister, faking out his mom the day before for April Fool's. We called family and then drove to a TRUE old haunt, the Ephraim pizza joint that Tyler used to go for square dancing with his lady friends ;)

We talked about plans and dreams. How many kids? Lots. How soon? As soon as possible. Thinking back to those times of wonder are almost amusing now. But I hold them sacred. Our priorities have always been to be an eternal family. Delivering two premature, deceased children has only increased that desire and priority. Our covenants are real. Our love is real. Our children are real.

I thank my God every night and morning for the blessings in my life, and almost without fail, the first blessing I thank Him for is Tyler. I've needed Tyler. Hi strength, his compassion, his hope.

That blessed floral shirt still fits. That blessed hill and temple will always feel like home to me. This blessed life continues, and my hopes have been renewed. April 2nd, 2008. Life was great. April 2nd, 2012. Life is oh so much more rich and cultured. And still great. Honey, it's my honor to be your wife.

And as for the carousel, maybe we can have a romantic kiss there when we move to Denver in August. . .


3 comments:

Kathleen said...

What a blessed day to remember. Your ring setting is gorgeous and reminds me of the sunshine that your life is and the wonderful influence you have on so, so many people.

Amber said...

Hey, I didn't realize we were proposed to in almost the exact same spot!
I was thinking of you and your mother heart today. Love you Sundy!

Happiness Anne said...

That is so beautiful, you made me cry! And I am at work and shouldn't be crying! You are beautiful Sis. Beautiful things are coming!