Monday, October 24, 2011

Baby Anderson and Med School

I have pondered when to share the "news" to the online world regarding a special delivery that should be landing in Portland, Oregon, around April 9, 2012. Today was the day, because a)we got some really cute ultrasound pictures of this little one (hoping to find out the gender but the tech said she'd get in trouble if she told us before the 18-20 week appointment. grrr :) and b)we got some other great news today--T got accepted to the University of Colorado medical school! The joy is overflowing around our dismantled house right now. I wish you could come and squeal with us!

I know the joy is great because the sorrow has been great, too. Dreams do come true, but literal blood and tears sometimes have to be shed first. My heart aches for those who are still trudging down the path of sorrow, but likewise, I would not be here if I had not gone down that path. It was the only option. Brigham Young said (in his journal of discourses) that when we see our deepest trials as they really are, we will discover that in fact, they are "the greatest blessings that could be bestowed upon" us (p.345).

In CS Lewis's "A Grief Observed," Lewis proclaims, after much deliberation, that "It there is a good God, then these tourtures are necessary. For no even moderately good Being could possibly inflict them if they weren't." Amen. Absolutely necessary. Transformation equals heat, fire, affliction.
My favorite poem, ever, which I discovered while going through what at the time was my hardest experience yet, that of serving a mission in South Africa, goes as follows:

They cut desire into short lengths
And fed it to the hungry fires of courage.
Long after—when the flames had died—
Molten Gold gleamed in the ashes.

They gathered it into bruised palms

And handed it to their children
And their children's children. Forever.

-Vilate Raile, 1947

3 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you.

Kathleen said...

Sundy, I hadn't checked your blog since last week. How I would love to be in your home squealing with you, jumping up and down with you, and hugging you! This is wonderful, blessed news! So, so wonderful! And I'm thrilled that Tyler has been accepted into med school to boot! Maybe you're waiting to hear from other schools as well, but I would be thrilled to be less than a three-hour-drive away from you! Congratulations on all accounts! (Forgive my excessive use of the exclamation point--no, forget that, it is completely fitting and appropriate:)

Amber said...

Hurray, hurray, hurray!!!! So happy for you!