Saturday, August 6, 2011

DC, Here we come!

I've been plotting to take Tyler to Washington, DC since before we were married. DC/Virginia is my second home, the places I spent as a child even more than Utah.

And we're going! Tyler has an interview at George Washington University's School of Medicine, so we're making a trip of it. This will count as our summer trip/3rd anniversary get-away/why-NOT-take-a-trip vacation.

It's so needed. The only extended (we're going for a week!) trips we've been on since marriage have been to Utah to visit family. And while we will technically be visiting family on this trip, too (my aunt Karen and uncle Glen live in Virginia, Happy is at Georgetown, and my parents will be in Charlottesville while we're there), this trip is definitely out of the ordinary.

I want to show Tyler my childhood fortress Monroe, where seagulls soars and salt water sprays:


I want to walk by the monuments on the National Mall at night with T's hand in mine, feeling gratitude for those who more than self their country loved:

I want to take my husband to the places where I first gained my very own witness that God has a plan for families and individuals; particularly, that God had a plan for MY family and ME, even a little youngster:

And of course, I want Tyler to have an incredible first experience with all the East Coast wonders, like Bodo's bagels, Au Bon Pain, and other waiting delicatessens :).

Here we come, Smithsonian, Foggy Bottom Metro Station, Colonial Williamsburg, Kennedy Center, muggy fall, forested hills, my country 'tis of Thee. We'll be arriving shortly.

3 comments:

Crystal Noel Perry said...

Woooooohooooooo!!!!!! Maybe I can fit in in your back pocket...? :)

The Ulrich Family said...

Ohhhh this will be fun! Hope you guys have a blast!!!!

Kathleen said...

Enjoy every minute! Sending prayers that Tyler's interview goes extremely well.