Monday, October 25, 2010

Moderation


I promise this post is not a tattle tale on my husband--I am guilty of the same behavior much more of the time, but I know our life is getting a little out of control when even temperate T is struggling with moderation.

Case Example #1: The Drive Through

Tyler does not like fast food. He read a book (In Defense of Food--all about eating food in its most natural state--something you don't generally find at fast food), plus he's counting our pennies to apply to many, many med schools next Spring. So we don't do fast food. . . except when we're both getting out of class at 10 o'clock on a Friday night and we have to BACK at class at 8 am the next day.

So we're at the drive through and in true Tyler fashion he picks the cheapest thing on the menu--I convince him that we should split a pumpkin smoothie and go for the 10 cent more burger with cheese-- I'm telling the lady over the intercom, 2 burgers, one small pumpkin smoothie, a glass of ice water. . .

Lady at Burgerville: Will that be all for you?

T: And a large fry

S: And a large fry.

Case Example #2:

It's Sunday night--we had a salad for dinner and it's about time to turn in for the night. Family phone calls are almost finished up, and T's in the kitchen.

S: What's going on?

T: I've decided to make homemade hot chocolate and scones-- I need a sweet treat.

Absolutely we need a sweet treat. No complaints by me.


Technically, I guess this still might be considered moderation for a few reasons. First, Burgerville prides itself on only using the freshest ingredients, all from local farms (though I'm pretty sure it was a white flour bun). Secondly, the scones had whole wheat flour. Thirdly, if I'm writing about these experiences as anomalies, it's not the norm. Right?


3 comments:

Tyler said...

What can I say? Guilty as charged.

Although, Honey, I suppose I owe you a "thanks" for the boost to my self-control. I'm much less likely to indulge the next time I'm tempted if I know my indiscretion will be posted for all to see . . .

Amberly said...

If that's "out of control," I'd hate to see what you think of my current diet. Bring on the carbs! ;)

Crystal Noel Perry said...

Oh gosh...I'm sitting at my desk, freezing cold right now...and that hot chocolate and scone picture is mocking me.