Friday, September 24, 2010

Doing this

I sat in a group of fellow grad student counselors yesterday, explaining why my life is hard right now. I basically have a 30 hour a week job (my internship) like the rest of them, but I also am taking six classes with a total of 30 assignments due throughout the semester. Crickets chirped, then they all told me I was crazy and needed to drop classes and graduate a year later.

Hmm. There are plenty of reasons for "doing this" that I did not share with my classmates. But, dear readers, I will share them with you:

1) My end goal in life is not to be a family therapist. I desire to a mother.
2) Motherhood has not been "happening" the way I figured it would, so the Lord provided me this in-between time task to increase my ability to love and nurture children when they do come.
3) When children DO come, I want to be out of school.
4) School costs a LOT of money.
5) A LOT of money needs to come to our family to pay for the said experience, as well as any necessary arrangements for children to come to our home.
6) The longer I am in school, the more tuition rises and number of classes increase.
7) Whether or not I get to be a mom in the near future, I need to be done with school to progress our family's future.

Thus, I grind through, supported by the Lord and my husband, cheering friends and family members, and apparently NOT my fellow graduate student counselors.

:)

4 comments:

Heather said...

Hang in there, Sund. It sounds extremely hard, but what an accomplishment it will be...and what an asset this education and experience will be for you as a mother. Your kids will be so lucky to have you as their mom.
YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS! :)

Amber said...

I still think your crazy, but mostly I think, Kudos to you!

Chels said...

Um, I just miss you. I want to hear your voice and you've been on my brain like crazy lately. I check your blog like a faithful blog dog and I will be buying a phone soon since mine was stolen so I can hear your voice. I love your blog. I love you. A dang lot.

Sarah said...

Good for you. You can do it. My sis has been married and trying to have kids for five years. They're now considering adoption. Life doesn't always turn out the way you expect, huh? For example, I'm pretty sure I'll hit 28 and still be single at this point. But, we learn a lot in the process and get opportunities we wouldn't have otherwise, do we not?

You can totally do it, I'm proud of you for taking this on. Hope you can be a mom as soon as the time is right.