Thursday, December 17, 2009

I triumphed over my first semester of graduate school


This is a happy day. With three minutes to spare, I emailed my professor to let him know that I finished my last of MANY books of the semester. . . and that was the end. The end!! For a few weeks, anyway.

And I COULD NOT have done this without the support of my chief editor, bottle washer, and cook, the magnificent Tyler Joseph Anderson. Seriously, by the end of this thing, he'll know as much or more about family therapy than I do. He has read and edited every paper, listened to me spill my guts about all the reasons I am not fit to be a therapist, and anxiously helped me analyze our own families and marriage (well, maybe anxiously is a bit of a stretch, but he definitely was patient).

T's not home tonight--working late. This moment of triumph is missing half of its provider (brought of course by the letter, the man, the companion of my dreams and reality--get it? reali--T?)

By triumph I mean that I worked and read and wrote my tail off. Two A's to report so far--I haven't cared about grades since high school. Now I think about each subject and my need to retain all that knowledge for actual clients, children, and families.

This is my forte--this is where I need to be. A lot of stress, brain, money, and soul are going into this degree. It seems that the rest of what I thought my future would hold rests on this part of my earthly mission. My patriarchal blessing says that many will come to me for counsel in my life; I never pictured that meaning a therapy degree, but the Lord is in this.

His goodness faileth never. . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY! I am so happy for you and so proud of you! You really have given your school work your all. You're an inspiration to me.

You're going to be a sought-after therapist because of your many strengths and the loving care you have for others.

I love you. Don't forget the little people when you're famous! :)

T. Russell said...

I Love this post! I feel the exact same way about my hubby...I can't imagine even attempting this whole school-thing without his support. I'm so glad that I was able to get to know you a little last term. You are beautiful inside and out and I am a better person for knowing you. I'm a little bummed that we won't be seeing each other as much this semester but I'm glad that you have a blog so I can check up to see what's going on with you. Have a wonderful day.