Friday, September 19, 2008

Oregon Sunshine


I recognize that I've been pretty vague about what I'm doing up in Oregon, so here's the low-down: Tyler didn't get into medical school for this year, so we took jobs in the Portland, OR area and moved on the 9th of August. It's been wonderful and challenging to be up here. We stayed with my aunt and uncle until we finally got approved for an apartment (we didn't have enough rental history), but have finally moved into a wonderful ward in the Hillsboro OR stake. I've been called as a ward organist and to serve on the enrichment committee. Tyler is the ward choir pianist and was informed that he would be called to scouting very shortly. We've had the missionaries over for dinner and have been praying for missionary opportunities--I've had several really great ones so far. I went to a retreat for my service as an AmeriCorps member at the beginning of this month. 60 other members were there and I quickly discovered that I was a true minority because I was married and not living with a boy or girlfriend. They were all wonderful people with big hearts who want to serve the low-income population of the state. Probably 20% of them were vegetarians and everyone carried their coffee cups around like an extra appendage. The blessings of living the gospel are so concrete and tangible in my life when juxtaposed with the common American lifestyle I see my peers and coworkers living--it's just different. We continue on. Tyler works for a non-profit clinic in downtown Portland that treats low-income drug and alcohol addicts as a medical case worker. He works with a man whose liver is so hardened and swollen that it's just a matter of time before he dies. But he doesn't want to be addicted to alcohol when that happens, so he's fighting to the end. I am doing outreach and volunteer recruitment at a family resource center, focusing on getting families health care and other needs met like food, clothing, dental care, and social services. I wish I spoke Spanish. I also wish I was allowed to share the gospel. A lady came in to the center and asked if we had any books. I asked her what she liked to read, She said, "Anything good." If there is anything virtuous, lovely , or of good report or praiseworthy.... Since I'm getting federal funding I cannot proselytize. Maybe I'll get a member to donate Book of Mormons to the center. The sun has been shining the entire time we've been up here...until yesterday. A cold front moved in and that's probably the end of the sunshine until April. I guess that's the price we pay for our green forest. There's a lush park down the road called "Noble Woods." There's a stream that runs through the whole thing with bridges to cross. We run there in the mornings and meet creatures like bunnies and squirrels in the quiet misty morning. Tyler (T, as I call him) painted a wall a lovely butterscotch orange to match my African decor. It's starting to feel like home.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Good thing Sundy Lynn Sunshine moved in just before the regular sunshine left. Those people of Oregon are lucky to have you in their lives.

Moonsahra said...

Wow! It does sound like you're doing well and doing good. I've been thinking a little bit about you lately because of my English classes. They are writing a persuasive essay about what the essential nature of man is. As part of the essay they have to think of one way to counteract the evil in the world. I thought of your great service! Good luck with everything!

Teacherheart said...

Now THAT'S the Sunshine I've been missing. As I read, that ol' lump formed in the back of my throat, and then I swallowed it all the way to my heart! I LOVE seeing the world through your eyes, and thinking about it through your soul.

Karen said...

What a great adventure to leave Father and Mother and cleave to each other! I only wish that you two had moved to the East Coast instead of the West Coast. What a blessing you are touching lives and leaving people better wherever you go!