Monday, March 24, 2008

I am Christian

Hello my "most important audience" (according to Douglas L. Callisterfrom Conference yesterday, talking about bearing testimony to friendsand families, the most important of audiences).Before I tell you of some of the Lord's miracles with His children,might I share some of the personal revelation I received from thisconference? What will I do differently because of my experience withapostles and prophets speaking for the Lord? Well, here are some ofmy insights:Pay my tithing with more faith in the promised blessings.Give up sins of pride to receive meekness and humility.Put others' needs first.Be more honest, especially in the little things.Be more generous—forget about what I've given others.Be more grateful—never forget what others are constantly doing for me.Spend more time with the Lord- study and reflect on His life.Use "Preach My Gospel" when studying the scriptures.Think as a missionary thinks.Come to know my ancestors.Compile a Family Home Evening lesson plan book for my future family.Continue working on being organized (you'd be proud of my clean room,Lacey Jean).Prepare for Sacrament Meeting as the most holy meeting of the week.Purify my inner most heart and secret desires.Give, give, and give some more.Ask more specific questions in prayer, be more fervent in scripturestudy and be patient in listening to the Lord's answers.Plead with the Lord daily that I will never lose my testimony.Love, instead of judge, the people whom are closest to me.Granted, this list is quite long and cannot be accomplished overnight,but I am grateful that when I ask the Lord what I can do to becomebetter, He answers me.On a sad note, my sweet angel of a dog died this week. She was almost17 years old and nearly totally blind and deaf. Her little body wasfound by my dad, still warm on her bed.I grieved for MY loss that night more than HER departure from thismortal world. Sobs escaped and just coming for my little four-leggedfriend who always listened, loved, and sensed my heart. Muffin is nowburied in our backyard under 4 rocks shaped like a paw print. I'vebeen praying that Heavenly Father will allow her spirit will remainaround our house. It was, after all, her house before it was ours.I made my way to Sister Adams' house on Tuesday. She's the sweetinvestigator with a walker who got out of the hospital a week agofrom heart problems. I had never made a go of the DC bus system, andshe lived far away from my office. When I finally got to herneighborhood, I realized that I wasn't going to be extremely safe toleave after dark. But there I was, right in inner city DC, ready tosing my testimony for Sister Adams. The whole experience was so muchlike my mission. The only thing missing was a name tag and acompanion. I helped Sister Adams clean up the living area, talked toher about her children, and sang of forever families and JesusChrist's eternal love. Singing, staring straight into her eyes, theSpirit locked and a force stronger than anything visible passedbetween us. The phone kept ringing, interrupting, but as soon as shewas off, the Spirit came right back. She asked me to sing for anon-denominational women's group on Thursday morning. I accepted theinvite on condition that my boss would allow me to come to work late.Sis. Adams prayed for me with great faith that I would make it thereon Thursday, and that I would make it home safely….I needed both prayers. Walking to the bus stop and waiting there fora half an hour in the dark was not comforting, especially as peopledrove by starring curiously at the little white girl in a businesssuit. But Sister Adam's prayers, and mine, were heard. My bosskindly consented for me to attend the Women Aglow Society. Iattempted to take the bus again. Two hours after boarding, I wasSTILL riding. I met an "Ex-Mormon" who I talked to for quite a whileand had to convince an older gentleman that I probably would not beinterested in dating an older man (i.e., him).The meeting turned out to be a gathering of over 50 devoted Christianswho were already there praising and singing when I arrived. SisterAdams called the leaders over and told them I wanted to sing. Theyraised their eyebrows inquisitively. I looked towards Sister Adams,who looked right back at me with a "don't you want to?" look. "Yes,"I replied. "I am here to sing." Feeling uncomfortable, I was usheredto a table. I would sing after the speaker and the luncheon.The speaker was an Egyptian woman, born into an Orthodox Christianfamily and later switched back and forth between Islam andChristianity. Now she is on a mission to save the Muslim people andconvert them to Jesus Christ. Towards the beginning of her speech,the Spirit touched me several times as I saw the sincerity of herbelief in Christ. Later, she began to mock principles of Islam andtold her audience that if a Mormon should every come their way, shoothem away because they did not worship the true Jesus. The Spiritleft. I looked around the room and realized that the Lord hadanswered my prayer for missionary moments. When it was finally myturn to sing, I went to the front and from deep inside myself began todeclare my testimony in song…"Jesus love is like a lighthouse, when the storms of life appear; likea beacon in the distance, always steady, always clear. And those whowill go where the lighthouse glows will feel of His Spirit and findrepose…" The Spirit moved me and the group as well.I finished, took a deep breath, and said something like the following: Thank you for allowing me to be here today and praise with you. Ialso love and worship Jesus Christ. I have worshipped Him my wholelife. I served Him for a year and a half in Africa, preaching of Him.The "Mormons" are a nickname for The Church of Jesus Christ ofLatter-day Saints. I am a member of that church. Part of theproblems we face as Christians can be miscommunication of ourbeliefs. I thank you for the Spirit I have felt here, and hope thatmy witness has also testified of Christ…"It wasn't exactly like that, but you get the idea. As I sat down, Ilooked at the speaker. Her face was frozen. I don't think she wasexpecting a Mormon to show up to a nondenominational Christianmeeting. I hope now she and all the other 50+ individuals know, likeElder Holland so boldly announced on Saturday, that we are Christians.On my way home, a boy smiled at me by the metro. I was reading theBook of Mormon, the blue one with the pictures. I smiled back andasked if he had ever seen this book….We had a wonderful mini firstlesson on the metro. I explained that this book made me happier thanany other book, along with the Bible, that it was given to us as agift, in countries all over the world, in over 150 languages, fromHeavenly Father. The boy really listened. Cedric Shaw is 19, works atMcDonalds, lives with his father and three brothers, is trying tofinish up his high school credits, and loves poetry, writing, andrapping. By the end of it all, we decided it would be good for him toget to know some of my friends at the Barlow Center. I saw a light inhim. I hope it grows. He's going to take me and several others intothe depths of Anacostia, a place that I would never dare to go bymyself.Sister Adams called me on Saturday morning to warn me that she knowshow it is to feel like God is with me, but that I need to be safe. Ifyou're thinking the same thing, please realize that I learned fromfortunately harmless experience this week that I really shouldn't begoing out to do missionary work by myself anymore. I will take acompanion ☺Every day my desire deepens to serve a mission here on earth. TheSpirit articulated that mission to me in Conference. He whispered,"Come home, Sundy Lynn. Bring as many with you as you can." That'swhat I intend to do. Love you always, Sundy

No comments: