Monday, March 24, 2008

Boston!

Hi all,I am running to work right now, but I needed to let the whole worldknow that I went to a blessed, blessed single adult educationconference in Boston and Cambridge this weekend! I ended up travelingfor 18+ hours total, but it was well worth the trip. Elder Jeffrey R.Holland "stayed with us." He didn't just speak to us--he was a partof us. For two days, I sat at the feet of a modern witness for JesusChrist. I felt so strongly of the compassion and mercy and kindnessthe Lord must have for me just by being with Elder Holland. When itwas my turn to meet him, he grabbed my hand and said, "Well, aren'tyou a cheerful soul!" I nodded and smiled even wider, not knowingwhat else to do. I told him how the last chapter of his book "HoweverLong and Hard the Road" saved me from coming home from a mission. Hissmile and warmth were so real, so personal.I drank freely of living waters this weekend. The Spirit boiled upand spilled over many, many times. I wish each one of you could havebeen there with me. It was a time to rejoice. Of all the doctrinestaught, I will hold on to these truths for the rest of my days:Being God's child in Jesus Christ's church TRUMPS every othercircumstance in my life.Faith is a gift bestowed upon us because of our personal righteousness.When there are things that I don't know or don't understand, I mustCLING more desperately to the things I DO know and DO understand.One who doesn't bear WITNESS is not a part of the kingdom of heaven.Keep crossing the Sweetwater as long as the Sweetwater crops up.The church of the Lamb is to prepare the world to meet the Lamb.The things we need are usually the things we fear."Any sister missionary is worth four elders. Any where across theworld." (that's a direct quote from the sister's Q&A session :)We meet the Savior in the flames of adversity. Don't resist sufferingtoo much. More than anything in this world, God loves a broken heart,particularly when it leads to a contrite spirit. A true disciple ismarked by that which she suffers."Embrace the breaking of your heart as central to your salvation."Waiting is not an indication of unworthiness, but the Lord's trust andfaith in us that WE will be faithful.Even apostles feel unworthy of their calling.Mercy always overpowers justice. ALWAYS.The last words he spoke to us were in the form of an Apostlicblessing, "as if I am laying my hands on your head individually." Hepromised us answers to our prayers and the desires of our hearts to begranted. He told us that we MUST know that we are loved, adored,cherished, revered, and needed. He promised that those who are ill,who may become ill, or are currently suffering that they will havetheir personal prayers answered and that hope will spring in useternally.He commanded us, in the most power I have personally been in thepresence of, to begin to magnify the greatest gift God has ever givenHis church and yet we don't take enough advantage of--the Gift of theHoly Ghost.The fall leaves were deep scarlet and pumpkin orange. Boston streetsare chaos the its winds are CHILLY right now. But the Charles riverglistened in autumn sun, and I was so happy to be in New England.Love you forever! Sundy

No comments: