Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Dreaming Doctor

When Tyler was 2 years old, his sister BreAnn was born with physical and mental impairments. From a young age, Tyler learned to protect his sister. The few times I have seen Tyler shed numerous tears have centered on situations where those with physical and mental infirmities were treated with humiliation or mocked. I have become much more sensitive to those with special needs and also those who in jest and often without realization mock the children of God.

One of the first things I fell in love with Tyler over was the bond he still has with BreAnn. BreAnn is capable, brilliant, strong-willed, lovable, and full of dreams and hopes. She once told me about what it will be like for her when she gets married and has babies to tend. I know that BreAnn has a special sense of the eternal "now" that only the godly can see. Her mortal body is merely a temporal house for her eternal spirit. She senses that blessings, even ones that take years to come to pass, are still very much in her grasp. Never in a million years would I try to tell BreAnn that she should pick a different dream--she KNOWS she will be a mom, a wife, a queen (well, in her case, a princess--every Halloween, this is no question; BreAnn will be Princess BreAnn) to her family. It may take time, but one day, I know it will happen. And the waiting, the patience, the diligence in struggling through, will bear BreAnn precious fruit that is desirable above all other fruit.

While re-listening to Elder Hale's talk from this past General Conference, this line struck my heart: " ...To all of the good Samaritans who minister to the sick, succor the weak, and care for the mentally and physically infirm, I feel the gratitude of a loving Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son." Maybe it's too personal to publicize on a blog like this, but what struck me in the gut was that this line applies to Tyler's personality and spirit, both pre- and post- mortal, and especially now. It was not coincidental that he would be chosen as an older brother--a guardian--for his sister. He had already developed those qualities before coming here. And it is no wonder that he continues to have a desire to care for the sick as a doctor. He has spent his whole eternity thus far preparing. It didn't start with his good grades and test scores. It's been in the works for ions of time.

I speak of all this at a time when, for the fourth go-around, Tyler is attempting to show admissions committees and interviewers around the country that he is fit and capable to do the work of becoming a doctor. I wish that for 20 minutes, the veil could part and they could see what I've only gotten glimpses of, glimpses that bring me to tears and gratitude that I get to share an eternity with this healer. He has been learning the healer's art for a long time.

I recently updated a loved one on Tyler's status of interviews for medical school. This loved one gently asked if Tyler had considered some other options besides doctor that would be "less demanding" and not as competitive. I know that question came from a place of true love. Who likes to watch someone get up numerous times and get beaten back? Everyone wants
to cheer us on, but to me, it felt a little like telling my sister in-law that she should choose a different dream; "Don't work to be a mom, a princess,
a wife. . .
You can always be a baby sitter." She knows what her destiny better than I do. She sees beyond the current hardships and day-to-day tragedies. BreAnn is mastering patience.

And she has inspired me to do the same. So has her brother, my eternal companion and choice. Here's to you, honey, and to all the lives you will heal and bless. You are fit for the label of healer, of doctor. President Monson said that the "future is as bright as your faith." What a noon-day, mid-August Portland day that will be like.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

That's super awesome. I'm glad you and Tyler are willing to fight for your dreams. I'm excited for him to have the chance to do what he is meant to do.

Kathleen said...

Sundy, this is a heartfelt, beautiful tribute to your husband and to your sister-in-law. I am convinced that Tyler was indeed saved and preserved for many special works of healing--in his future profession as doctor as well as in your family, the Church, and the community at large. BreAnn is a gem! I hope to see beyond daily hardships as she does and be a light to all as she is.