Monday, March 24, 2008

East Coast Adventures #1

I am rejoicing right now! Coming back from a weekend in up-state NewYork has given me time to reflect on the glorious gospel blessings inmy life. I got to Virginia on Tuesday and was whisked away from thehumid Dullus airport to Glen and Karen Peterson's house (my dad'syoungest brother and wife with their 4 fabulous boys). The Petersonhome is a sweet and loving haven, one that I would like to recreate inmy own family some day. I felt utterly spoiled getting so muchone-on-one time with Aunt Karen and Uncle Glen, pouring out my heartto them about the Provo life I just left--the MTC, the temple service,the beautiful roommates and ward, and of course, there was plenty ofreminiscing about mission days in South Africa and Botswana. Ibrought my newly updated scrap book with me to show off the people Ilove so much from that part of the world. It's amazing to me that myheart keeps getting split into more and more pieces with every newexperience I have and with every soul I meet.Karen took me to get a pedicure and manicure. We shopped in herfavorite health food store, thrift store (The Resourceful Woman), andbakery. Hamilton is lush green right now and I couldn't stop admiringthe green wonderland that curled above and around the Virginia byway.After Karen dropped me off at the Barlow Center (I am REALLY inWashington, DC--the city is below my window), three new friends and Iheaded up to New York. I'd never been to the headquarters of theRestoration before this trip. Going there made me ponder how manymembers of the Church today will ever get to go to Palmayra, or theWhitmer farm, the Book of Mormon printing press, the Hill Cumorah, the
Smith farm house, the Sacred Grove....Not many, I suppose.The Lord taught me on this trip that it is the testimonies of themembers of His kingdom that make any place a sacred place. I felt theSpirit bear more powerful witness of the truthfulness of the gospel ina new convert's home than at the printing press, probably because Icould see how the Book of Mormon had influenced their every decisionsince leaving the world behind and living gospel standards. Icouldn't stop shaking in the Pittsford, NY fast and testimony meetingas saint after saint stood and shared their love for missionary workand the simple truths that beat in my heart, too. The sites of theRestoration are sacred because of the people who go there withconviction of what happened before. Is this making sense? It's likewhen the Lord says to Thomas, "because thou hast seen, thou hastbelieved. Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet believe." I just love the saints of this church. It is a happy thing to be outhere in the field that is full of curious folk. Every where I go Iget to talk to people about the Mormons. I love that I am one whocan be called a Latter-day Saint. So far I have talked to a woman onthe plane, a man at Trader Joe's Market, a Mennonite woman who sold mean Amish quilt--basically anyone who looks my way.My internship starts on Wednesday. I'm currently dealing with a caseof flutter bugs in my stomach due to nerves. Hopefully they fly awaywhen confidence and faith replace fear. 4 months will go by soquickly--every moment counts.Love you all. Sweet dreams, Sundy Lynn

No comments: